Monday 25 May 2015

064 Thoughts on the change in GW Warhammer Fantasy



This one is interesting, while I have not historically been a WFB player nor a great collector of the range, I have always had a place for it in my heart and its always been the thought of massed ranks, row upon row of warriors all jostling in regiments. With that being said I am troubled by what sounds to be a move towards a smaller skirmish style game, I like the Mordheim style warbands which are more like groups of heros or veterans but I think that is a style and a game all to itself and I will really miss the idea of massed regiments.

I guess my like of the style of massed ranked units comes from a passion for Napoleonic period warfare with very obvious organised ranks together with images from the older styling of Roman Legions, Greek Phalanx, 15th century pike blocks and the like.

I would love to see the return of Mordheim style skirmish games, and the great styling of models to go with it but not at the expense of the “main game”.

On a cynical note I also don’t see the point in switching the range to round or oval bases for anything other that a commercial reasoning; cheaper for them to make one type (not much cheaper I would think) but also to have the existing range and people existing models redundant. I can well picture the peer pressure that will be gradually applied on people to change over to round bases and while some will change the bases on their own models the cynic inside me is sure that GW will be hoping that people will be rebuying the models rather than go to the effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment