Friday 3 April 2015

042 Three Wise Men.... And a Lady

I have always had a leaning towards the Undead as a Fantasy army, but also for the aesthetic of the Ancient armies brought back to life.

Bramstoker's Dracula, The Mummy and all the different novels and films of the genre have stocked my passion.

I always had a love of the GW take on it with Nagash but also there are a few of the old school Fighting Fantasy novels which really bring out that idea of an all powerful Necromancer or Liche that has mastery over an army of Undead.


That being the case and with the upcoming changes to the Warhammer world I took the opportunity to snap up some Tomb Kings minis before they are discontinued!


These are also my first foray into Finecast and I am sad to say I am not impressed. To be fair given the models these maybe from the older generation of Finecast and not representative of the current type but even so I am disappointed with the material to say the least.



I am hoping that the nature of the Tomb Kings models and the sort of broken down and decayed look will hide much of the issues with the casting but to be blunt in places the casting was so bad I wasn't sure what was intended decay and what was casting faults by the end!!

The worst was on the last one here Prince Apophas who was covered in little spikes or stalagmites which all had to be trimmed and cleaned off, thankfully again the nature of the model means this is much hidden but shouldn't really be the case to start with!

Finecast feels very different under your fingers, strangely feeling both softer but also more brittle, I am actually quite worried that my clumsy hands might end up breaking the thing!

I also not the the "straightness" of Finecast is a little bit hit and miss and if you look closely both the sword on Apophas and the Staff/halberd on the Liche Priest are quiet twisted and most definitely dont want to straighten by brute force....  This is again saved by it being the Tomb Kings and I can live with things looking more decayed and ancient but sad to see in  the first place.

No comments:

Post a Comment